Review Notes – Sociology 101 – Morrisville State College – Final Exam
Major Concepts to Review for Final Exam:
Tuesday, Dec 13th,
6pm, Hamilton Hall (gym)
Please bring a pencil!
THE CONCEPTS OF SOCIOLOGY
- How are society, science, and self defined?
- What is the smallest "unit of analysis" in sociology?
- What does KARP stand for?
- What is a social role?
- What is a social norm?
- What is a social institution?
- What is the nature of the relationship between self and society?
Chapter 1- The
Origins of Sociology
- Who invented the term sociology?
- What are the details of the other three founders of sociology (who are they, where are they from, what did they contribute)?
- What were the social conditions that were changing in the 1800s to prompt these sociologists to write about their societies?
Chapter 2 - Culture
- What is the definition of culture?
- What is the difference between Material vs. Non-material culture? How are they connected?
- What is culture shock?
- What is a subculture?
- On the four components of culture:
... What are Symbols?
... What is Language?
... What are Values, Beliefs, and Norms?
... What are Artifacts?
- What social forces and flows create the Globalization of Culture?
Chapter 3 - Socialization
- What is the definition of socialization?
- What is the definition of personality?
- What is the nature vs. nurture debate?
- Who is Phineas Gage?
- What effect does social isolation have on people?
- What are "mirror neurons" and how does the brain filter our perceptions?
- Who/What are our agents of socialization?
- What were Sigmund Freud's ideas about the connection between consciousness and socialization?
- What were Erik Erickson's ideas about the events we face during our lifelong process of socialization?
- What were George Mead's ideas about the connection between self and socialization?
Chapter 4 - Sociology of Everyday Life
- What is Social Status?
(What are: status set, ascribed status, achieved status?)
- What is a Social Role?
(What are: role set, role conflict, role strain, role exit?)
- What does the Social Construction of Reality mean?
- What is the Thomas Theorem?
- What is Ethnomethodology?
- What is Dramaturgy (life as theater)?
Chapter 5 - Social Groups and Conformity
- What is a Social Group (vs. category or crowd)?
- What are Primary vs. Secondary Groups?
- What is McDonaldization (and its 4 principles)?
- What are the six characteristics of a bureaucracy?
- What are four irrationalities (problems) of bureaucracies?
- How can people at the bottom of the bureaucracy effect change?
- What factor does authority play in creating group conformity?
- How likely is it that people will conform in small groups?
- What two types of conformity characterize the reasons why we go along with the group?
End of Chapter 1 - Social Theory and Science
Chapter 7 - Deviance
SOCIAL ISSUES of SEX, RACE and CLASS
- Define stratification.
- How are social stratification categories socially constructed?
- What are the measures of stratification? (Weber, The Loxx)
- What is the difference between Caste, Estate, and Class stratification?
- What is the structural perspective (Davis-Moore) of stratification?
- What is the Conflict (Marxist) perspective of bourgeousie vs. proletariat?
- Why was there no Communist Revolution in the U.S.?
- What are the relative class rankings in the U.S. (lower, middle, upper, etc.)?
GLOBAL SOCIOLOGICAL ISSUES
Chapter 16 - Society, Social Change and the Future